Fragments of Laura is a location-based experience that gives users the chance to discover seven specific locations of Funchal through storytelling. Developed by a multidisciplinary team at Madeira Interactive Technology Institute, this project’s goal is to enhance the tourists’ experience, providing them with an entertaining way to explore some of Funchal locations and learn about Madeiran culture.
Together with Há-vita, both projects form a transmedia experience, inspired in the natural capital of UNESCO’s World Natural Heritage Laurisilva Forest of Madeira. Fragments of Laura is a fictional narrative delivered to its audience through a custom made location-aware mobile application to guide the audience to discover a story developed around seven touch points, specially designed to deliver information about Madeira island’s natural capital and its value.
The story is presented in the form of 2D motion comics, audio content and interactive virtual reality scenes. As the plot progresses it promotes the exploration of a selection of landmarks around Funchal, Madeira’s capital. The narrative takes place in the 19th century and the user has the chance to follow the story of Laura Silva, the main character, while interacting with the environment, as they can unlock new content on each historical landmark included in the experience.
In Há-vita the content is presented in a web-platform, designed to create a bridge between the locative playable fictional story with journalistic style interviews, providing more in depth information about the local heritage in the current days.
My roles in this project included:
- Being part of the story development team and consequent storyboarding of the full story;
- Cleanup and rigging of 19 distinct characters;
- Creation of a full 3D scenery of a 19th century pharmacy (modelling and texturing) optimized for mobile use;
- Recreation of 6 real-world locations of the 19th century in 3D;
- Previz and layout of 5 out of 6 videos (163 distinct frames);
- Manual application of the motion comic visual style to each frame of 4 out of 6 videos in Photoshop;
- Animation of all 6 motion comic videos in After Effects;
- Development of promotional material.